Pronounciation of PNEUMA

bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca
Tue Jan 7 19:46:02 EST 2003

The tutor I used to have pronounced PNEUMA the way it reads(ie.pronouncing the Pi.) Since then I heard someone pronounce it without sounding the Pi. When I asked him about it, he said that the Pi was silent like the p in pneumatic and pneumonia in English. I know it is not crucial for me to know this to learn Greek, but it is very annoying to be reading along and not to know which way is right(especially because I still speak the words as I read or at least mouth the words). I'll be grateful if someone would answer this
Bert de Haan
Arthur Ontario