2 Cor 6:1

Paul Toseland toseland at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 7 10:44:41 EST 2003

Steve,

>>The NT does have examples of PARAKALEW with
>> infinitive of indirectdiscourse; ATR points
>> out the particularly interesting example of
>> Acts 14:22, which has the infinitive and hOTI
>> side by side:
>>
>> PARAKALOUNTES EMENEIN THi KAI hOTI DIA POLLWN
>> QLIYEWN hUMAS EISELQEIN EIS THN BASILEIAN TOU
>> QEOU
>>
>> Let me try once more. Leaving aside questions of
>> context, could we translate 2 Cor 6:1,
>>
>> 'As fellow workers we also speak words of
>> consolation saying, 'You have not received the
>> grace of God in vain'
>
> Paul, I think you are missing the semantic connection
> between Acts 14.22 and 2 Cor 2.1. Yes, in both cases
> PARAKALEW introduces indirect speech, but note that
> in Acts 14.22 the infinitive clause is semantically
> equivalent to an imperative. The direct speech would be,
> "Remain in the faith." The same with 2 Cor 6.1, "Do not
> receive the grace of God in vain."

Yes, Acts 14:22 isn't an exact parallel; i haven't been able
to find one. But according to ATR (1036), there are a number
of verbs for which we have only single instances of the
infinitive of indirect discourse in the NT. Since this would
be a rather special use of PARAKALEW not found in secular
Greek, I thought that maybe the lack of a parallel might not
be fatal.

In Acts 14:22, PARAKALEW has the sense of 'urge' or 'exhort',
so it is to be expected that the dependent infinitve EMMENEIN
would be the semantic equivalent of an imperative. But maybe
in 2 Cor 6:1, as in many other instances in 2 Cor 1-7,
PARAKALEW is not a verb of exhortation, but of consolation.

Given this possibility - that in 2 Cor 6:1, PARAKALOUMEN
*might* mean, 'we speak words of consolation', is there a
clear lexical, semantic or syntactical objection to my (quite
tentative) suggestion?

(Baumert himself paraphrases, ' "Als Mitarbeitende stellen
wir vor Augen, sagen wir zur Ermutigung = bekräftigen wir,
daß ihr die Zuwendung Gottes nicht leer ...")

Paul Toseland