2 Cor 6:1

Steve Lovullo SLovullo at etcconnect.com
Tue Jan 7 09:19:55 EST 2003

Paul, I think you are missing the semantic connection between Acts 14.22 and
2 Cor 2.1. Yes, in both cases PARAKALEW introduces indirect speech, but note
that in Acts 14.22 the infinitive clause is semantically equivalent to an
imperative. The direct speech would be, "Remain in the faith." The same with
2 Cor 6.1, "Do not receive the grace of God in vain." Of course, taking into
account the sense of PARAKALEW in such constructions ("urge"), these would
probably best be taken as hortatory imperatives.

Steve Lo Vullo