2 Cor 6:1

Paul Toseland toseland at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 7 08:19:40 EST 2003

>> ‘As fellow workers we also console; (we declare that) you have
>> not received God’s grace in vain’?

>I still think that such a translation does not make proper sense and does
>not fit the context. One cannot justify the addition of semantically
>significant words like "we declare that" to the text.

I would like to pursue this a little, and focus just on the linguistic
issues, leaving aside, for the moment, the question of context for the
moment. The NT does have examples of PARAKALEW with infinitive of indirect
discourse; ATR points out the particularly interesting example of Acts
14:22, which has the infinitive and hOTI side by side:

PARAKALOUNTES EMENEIN THi KAI hOTI DIA POLLWN QLIYEWN hUMAS EISELQEIN EIS
THN BASILEIAN TOU QEOU

Let me try once more. Leaving aside questions of context, could we
 translate 2 Cor 6:1,

'As fellow workers we also speak words of consolation saying,
'You have not received the grace of God in vain'

I am still wondering if DECASQAI can be understood as an infinitive of
indirect discourse. Is that really a non-starter?

I should, perhaps, at this point cite Norbert Baumert, Filología
Neotestamentaria 11 (1998) 7-24, who (so far as I know) first
suggested this sort of interpretation:

http://www.bsw.org/?l=72111&a=Art01.html

His discussion of 2 Cor 6:1 is quite brief, and more intriguing than
convincing; however, he says,

PARAKALEIN kann auch bedeuten "aufmunternd sagen, jm. vorstellen, eine
ermutigende Ansprache halten, (be)stärken, trösten" (MG s.v.; bei Paulus
öfter ‘ermutigen’).

My German is worse than my Greek, but I think this can be translated
roughly,"to speak encouragingly; intoduce, deliver an encouraging address,
cheer up, console (MG s.v.; with Paul more frequently 'encourage')".

I don't have ready access to MG, but for this sense of PARAKALEW I have in
mind especially such passages as Isa 40:1-2 LXX,

PARAKALEITE, PARAKALEITE TON LAON MOU, LEGEI hO QEOS. hIEREIS LALHSATE
EIS THN KARDIAN hIEROUSALHM, PARAKALESATE AUTHN, hOTI EPLHSQH hH
TAPEINWSIS AHTHS ...

I am still thinking of a connection between Paul's PARAKALEW language
here and that of 1:3-7, where he is definitely dependant upon the LXX
of Psalms and Isaiah. I think 'words of consolation'wouldd be an apposite
description of Isa 49:8 in its original context, which Paul quotes in the
following verse.

Thanks Mike, BTW, for your contribuaition.

Paul Toseland