New Subscriber...Self Introduction, Initial Questions

Robert Wermuth robertewermuth at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 6 22:21:58 EST 2003

Hello to those on the B-Greek posting list,

I discovered your site just today while on another web search, and
decided to join the list.
By way of introduction, I studied Beginning Greek grammar in the early
80s at what was then Columbia Bible College (now Columbia International
University) in Columbia, SC.
My excellent professor, now deceased, was Charles Wenzel.  Did anyone on
this list ever attend CBC and/or have or know of professor Wenzel?

I took my beginning knowledge of Koine Greek-- along with the
incomparable teaching methodology which I gained from professor Wenzel
--on to St. Louis in 1982, where I spent three years obtaining an M.A.
in Exegetical Theology from Covenant Theological Seminary.  All the
while, and for seven subsequent years, I either tutored or (over the
course of one interim year) taught beginning Greek in that academic
setting.  I had already expanded on professor Wenzel's teaching
methodology before arriving in St. Louis, with a low-profile, unmarketed
spiral-bound "publication" of beginning Greek grammatical aids
(paradigms, charts, etc.).  I knew prof. Wenzel's methodology had good
merit, having been one of his students, but little did I know just how
broadly teachable and successful that methodology could be until I
experienced putting it into practice with over a 10-year span.
Particularly helpful are paradigms for all moods (modes) of verbs, and a
nice, concise, one-page view of all Greek noun declensions/endings (with
some significant visual support, I believe, for the eight-case system
utilized by such as A.T. Robertson, etc.).

At some point I'd like to share some of that methodology with you for
feedback.  I'm convinced that it's an exceedingly (though an
unintentionally well-kept secret) teaching and learning tool, and I hope
to make it more broadly known and available.  I'm currently reworking
the materials I created on an IBM "Selectric" (sounds like a dinosaur,
huh?) typewriter using English and Greek typing "balls." I'm
computerizing the document in MSWord utilizing, among other things, the
Summer Institute of Linguistics (a.k.a., SIL) "Galatia" Greek font.

Hope to hear from some of you on the list.

Sincerely,
Robert Wermuth, St. Louis, MO
robertewermuth at worldnet.att.net