2 Cor 6:1

Mike Sangrey msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Mon Jan 6 14:37:41 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 17:58, Paul Toseland wrote:
> 2 Cor 6:1 SUNERGOUNTES DE KAI PARAKALOUMEN MH EIS KENON THN XARIN
>  TOU QEOU DECASQAI hUMAS.
>
> The verb PARAKALEW occurs 12 times in 2 Cor 1-7. In 2:8 and 5:20
> it has the sense ‘appeal to (someone)’; but in at least 9 of the
>  remaining 10 instances it has the sense ‘console’. The cognate
>  noun PARAKLHSIS occurs 9 times, always with the sense
> ‘consolation’. It is generally agreed that the background of
> this language in 2 Cor is in LXX Psalms and Second Isaiah.
> 2 Cor 6:2 is a quotation from LXX Isa 49:8. Now it has been
> suggested that PARAKALEW might have this same sense in
> 2 Cor 6:1. Could the sense be somethihg like, ‘As fellow
> workers we also console, (declaring that) you have not
> received God’s grace in vain’?
>
> Admittedly, ‘also’ seems to refer back to 5:20, where
> PARAKALOUNTOS is followed by an exhortation in direct speech,
> so it seems more natural to take PARAKALOUMEN in the present
> passage to have the same sense: 'we exhort you not to receive
'.
> But if both senses are linguistically feasible, then the reader
> has to consider both options; and that would be exegetically
> significant. So I would welcome any comments.

Hi Paul,

My mind immediately went to `counsel'; but I haven't analyzed all the
contexts.

However, I did look up the relevant subdomains in Louw & Nida.  I'm
thinking in terms of:  what synonyms might have been used and what Paul
choose not to--IF `counsel' was intended.  Note the second occurrence
you cite would carry the sense of `strongly counsel'.

33:A' - Advise  (note:  L&N mention in a footnote that these words carry
a nuance of `suggesting a plan'.)
    SUMBOULEUW
    PARAINEW
    TIQHMI BOULHN
    SUMBOULOS
    SUMBIBAZW

33.H' - Recommend, Propose
    hISTHMI
    SUNISTHMI or SUNISTANW
    SUSTATIKOS
    TASSW

I'm not suggesting I think this IS the choice; I'm just suggesting some
further avenues of analysis.

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."