Reading Greek

Penner pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jan 6 14:01:18 EST 2003

> What is considered "easier Greek" in the LXX (the LXX
> equivalent of 1John)?

> What LXX material is suggested for different types of
> reading? Is poetic material as hard in LXX as it is in Hebrew?

I think you hit the nail on the head. The "difficulty" of LXX
translation Greek largely depends on whether it is poetry or prose. As
you might expect, narrative prose is the easiest, and as for Job ...
even the translator(s) didn't always understand the text. Of course,
those (deuterocanonical) books of the LXX which were originally composed
in Greek are an entirely different level of difficulty. Here's my own
ranking of a few LXX texts:

Genesis/Ruth/Judges
Deuteronomy
Jonah
Psalms
Isaiah
Jeremiah
Job
Esther additions
2 Maccabees

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Regent College), M.A. (McMaster)
Ph.D. Student, Religious Studies,
Biblical Field (Early Judaism major)
McMaster University
Hamilton, Canada