2 Cor 6:1

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Mon Jan 6 10:11:15 EST 2003

> 2 Cor 6:1 SUNERGOUNTES DE KAI PARAKALOUMEN MH EIS KENON THN XARIN
>  TOU QEOU DECASQAI hUMAS.
>
> The verb PARAKALEW occurs 12 times in 2 Cor 1-7. In 2:8 and 5:20
> it has the sense ‘appeal to (someone)’; but in at least 9 of the
>  remaining 10 instances it has the sense ‘console’. The cognate
>  noun PARAKLHSIS occurs 9 times, always with the sense
> ‘consolation’. It is generally agreed that the background of
> this language in 2 Cor is in LXX Psalms and Second Isaiah.
> 2 Cor 6:2 is a quotation from LXX Isa 49:8. Now it has been
> suggested that PARAKALEW might have this same sense in
> 2 Cor 6:1. Could the sense be somethihg like, ‘As fellow
> workers we also console, (declaring that) you have not
> received God’s grace in vain’?

The word "console" does not make sense in English in this sentence.

> Admittedly, ‘also’ seems to refer back to 5:20, where
> PARAKALOUNTOS is followed by an exhortation in direct speech,
> so it seems more natural to take PARAKALOUMEN in the present
> passage to have the same sense: 'we exhort you not to receive
'.
> But if both senses are linguistically feasible, then the reader
> has to consider both options; and that would be exegetically
> significant. So I would welcome any comments.

The sense of a word needs to be derived in conjunction with the other words
used in the sentence. Since PARAKALEW is here used with a following
accusative and infinitive, the sense is probably the same as in similar
constructions. It does not seem possible to get any other sense than the one
taken by all translations, i.e. we urge/encourage/beg/entreat/appeal to you
to ...

Iver Larsen