2 Cor 6:1

Paul Toseland toseland at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 5 17:58:44 EST 2003

2 Cor 6:1 SUNERGOUNTES DE KAI PARAKALOUMEN MH EIS KENON THN XARIN
 TOU QEOU DECASQAI hUMAS.

The verb PARAKALEW occurs 12 times in 2 Cor 1-7. In 2:8 and 5:20
it has the sense ‘appeal to (someone)’; but in at least 9 of the
 remaining 10 instances it has the sense ‘console’. The cognate
 noun PARAKLHSIS occurs 9 times, always with the sense
‘consolation’. It is generally agreed that the background of
this language in 2 Cor is in LXX Psalms and Second Isaiah.
2 Cor 6:2 is a quotation from LXX Isa 49:8. Now it has been
suggested that PARAKALEW might have this same sense in
2 Cor 6:1. Could the sense be somethihg like, ‘As fellow
workers we also console, (declaring that) you have not
received God’s grace in vain’?

Admittedly, ‘also’ seems to refer back to 5:20, where
PARAKALOUNTOS is followed by an exhortation in direct speech,
so it seems more natural to take PARAKALOUMEN in the present
passage to have the same sense: 'we exhort you not to receive …'.
But if both senses are linguistically feasible, then the reader
has to consider both options; and that would be exegetically
significant. So I would welcome any comments.

Many thanks.

Paul Toseland