John 4:29

bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca
Sat Jan 4 21:15:32 EST 2003

Hi everyone;
The Samaritan woman in John 4:29 asked the men of the town:MHTI hOUTOS ESTIN hO XRISTOS? It is my understanding that a question beginning with MH indicates that the one asking the question assumes the answer to be negative;"This is not the Christ is it?" Context shows that the woman believes him to be the Christ.Initially the men believed, based on her testimony. Could we not have expected her to ask;"This is the Christ is it not?"
Is my understanding of the Greek text wrong, or is it my interpretation that is wrong?
Bert de Haan
Arthur Ontario