Reading Greek

Brian McCarthy mccartbs at utrc.utc.com
Thu Jan 2 13:37:31 EST 2003

I've had good results in the past year by reading parallel verse-by-verse
in Greek and English.  First I make the best attempt I can at reading the
verse in Greek.  Then I check the English to see how close I got.  Then I
re-read the verse in Greek and often I find that it jumps into focus like
one of those stereoscopic pictures.

I've got a Greek/English New Testament with the Greek on one page and the
RSV on the facing page.  The verses are even lined up as closely on the
page as reasonably possible.  This makes for a lot less book juggling and
page flipping than with separate volumes.

In a year of doing this every day I've progressed from painstaking
back-and-forth as described above to pretty much being able to just read
the Greek, with an occasional peek at the English to clear something up.

Once you work up to a chapter a day, you'll have the whole New Testament
read in less than a year.  How about that for a goal!  If I can do it,
anybody can!

Brian McCarthy
mccartbs at utrc.utc.com