Condition of the first class

Paul S Dixon dixonps at juno.com
Thu Jan 2 12:07:11 EST 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 11:11:45 -0500 "Ray Angus" <rayangus at concentric.net>
writes:
> Dear all, I am new to this list.  I would like to hear your thoughts
> upon
> the word if as used in Col. 1:23
> Thank you, Ray Angus

Hi Ray:

The first class conditional assumes something to be so for the sake of
argument.  That is all.  It says nothing more.  Nothing less.

It does not say that the condition itself is true, just that it is being
assumed to be so.  The classic illustration of this is 1 Cor 15:13ff
where we have a bunch of first class conditionals that are clearly not
true, for example, EI DE ANASTASIS VEKRWN EGHGERTAI.

Paul Dixon, Pastor
First Presbyterian Church (PCA)
Camden, AL