Accent of A-Declension

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Jan 1 16:28:31 EST 2003

At 3:23 PM -0600 1/1/03, David wrote:
>?Hi, would anyone in the list mind giving me a help on the greek accent?
>
>    My grammar says that " In the A-declension the genitive plural will
>INVARIABLY be accented with a circumflex on the ultima."
>
>    According to my understanding, the genitive plural of KARDIA (which is
>accented on the antipenult) is KARDIWN (accented on the ultima with a
>circumflex, not on the antipenult with an acute). Is it true? And WHY?
>Please.
>
>    Thanks a lot, and Happy New Year to All my friends in the list.

(a) I think that KARDIA is actually accented normally on the penult--the iota;
(b) Yes, the genitive plural has a cirumflex over the omega; the reason is
that the genitive plural of first-declension nouns is invariably a
contraction from -AWN; as the accent on -AWN must be on the alpha, the
accent on the contracted form is a circumflex on the omega.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/