Accent of A-Declension

David davidlew at 163.com
Wed Jan 1 13:06:25 EST 2003

Hi, would anyone in the list mind giving me a help on the greek accent?

    My grammar says that " In the A-declension the genitive plural will INVARIABLY be accented with a circumflex on the ultima."

    According to my understanding, the genitive plural of KARDIA (which is accented on the antipenult) is KARDIWN (accented on the ultima with a circumflex, not on the antipenult with an acute). Is it true? And WHY? Please.

    Thanks a lot, and Happy New Year to All my friends in the list.

David Lew
UTSN, China