(RE) Discourse Function

Moon-Ryul Jung moon at sogang.ac.kr
Wed Jan 1 11:15:06 EST 2003

[Iver]
Hi, Alex

Thanks for some good examples of the use of aorist and imperfect and
differences with English.

Your example from
> Matthew 14:2-3 KAI *EIPEN* TOIS PAISIN AUTOU, hOUTOS ESTIN IWANNHS hO
> BAPTISTHS. AUTOS HGERQH APO TWN NEKRWN KAI DIA TOUTO hAI DUNAMEIS
> ENERGOUSIN
> EN AUTWi. hO GAR hHRWiDHS KRATHSAS TON IWANNHN **EDHSEN** [AUTON] KAI EN
> FULAKHi **APEQETO** DIA hHRWiDIADA THN GUNAIKA FILIPPOU TOU ADELFOU AUTOU
> [Herod] *said* ktl. For he **had** bound John and imprisoned him.

is a flashback where English requires a pluperfect tense. Does Greek
always
use aorist to indicate flashbacks? Or maybe I should rather ask: Are
flashbacks never overtly marked in the tense system, but indicated by GAR
and context?

[Moon]
The "standard treament" of temporal relations in discourse should be
stated more precisely as follows:

 The hearer assumes that the speaker is engaging in narration
 (forward movements of events)in absense of a specific cue
 to the contrary.

In the examples of Alex, it is GAR that makes the events described
by the aorist precede the currently established event.
Given S1 GAR S2, S2 is supposed to provide an explanation for S1.
This EXPLANATION relation between S2 and S1 makes S2 procede S1.

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea