[B-Greek] BDAG vs. TDNT (abridged)

Ron Fay roncfay at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 21 17:06:48 EST 2003

>I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of the abridged one-volume TDNT
>versus BDAG?
>
>I've never heard anyone comparing them directly.  Does this indicate that
>they're not "competitors", but different sorts of things, used for
>different
>purposes?

They are very different things.  BDAG is an actual lexicon, a dictionary,
giving definitions for every single word.  TDNT is a more of an
encyclopedia, giving as much information as possible about specific entries,
but not about every single word that appears in the GNT.

>When would you use one as opposed to the other?

If you do not know the meaning of a word, look at BDAG.  If you need to know
A LOT about the word because it is a key term in the
argument/sentence/verse, then you would go to TDNT.

>Are there other works in the same or similar categories that would
>supplement or replace either one, especially perhaps coming from a more
>conservative/evangelical/Reformed theological, uh, "bias"?

I don't really think they have much of a bias either way, that I can tell in
any event.  I come from a conservative evangelical background myself, and
have found nothing I would ostensibly disagree with myself.  Sometimes their
arguments are not always the best, but BDAG is the best lexicon and TDNT is
probably the best Theological Dictionary (though EDNT and NIDNTTE are both
good as well).

- Ron Fay

Ron Fay
Ph. D. student and New Testament Teaching Fellow
Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Deerfield, IL.
roncfay at hotmail.com