[B-Greek] RE: Trench's Synonyms

Glendon M. Gross gross at xinetd.ath.cx
Tue Feb 18 09:43:28 EST 2003

I have also felt that the voluminous postings from BDAG that I have seen
tend to shed very little light on a specific passage, primarily because
they can entice one to opt in to a statistical view of the text.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that reading the local context of a passage
is likely to give one more information than referring to some massively
inclusive reference of Greek usage?   I realize that such references are
valuable in order to give us a bird's eye view of how a word was used,
but isn't it fair to say that the passage itself (in Greek, of course)
will shed more light on its meaning than we can get from using
statistical methods to analyze individual words and grammatical
relationships between words in the passage?

I don't mean to minimize the work of those who have labored long hours
to produce these types of inclusive references, but just to voice
agreement with what you have said.  To me, the reference work cannot
ever provide "the last word" on a passage.  I still try to leave myself
open to see new things in a text itself, without disregarding what the
reference works tell us.

Regards,

Glendon Gross
Amateur Greek Student