[B-Greek] question about regularly occurring acronymns

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Wed Feb 12 18:23:03 EST 2003

In a message dated 2/12/2003 4:33:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dtbentley2000 at yahoo.com writes:

> I'm rather new to the mailing list and don't yet know
> koine though I'm learning ancient attic greek.  I've
> seen a few acronymns come up fairly frequently and was
> wondering if someone could give definitions for the
> following:
>
> BDAG
> LXX - is this shorthand for the Septuagint? (LXX =
> Latin numeral 70?)
>
> Are there any other commonly used acronymns that
> beginners should know?

BDAG = Bauer, Danker, Arndt & Gingrich.  This is the premier lexicon for NT
study.  Go sell what you have and purchase one and you will have a valuable
resource.

BDF  = Blass, Debrunner, Funk.  This is the English Edition of the
Blass-Debrunner grammar published in German.  It has since been revised in
German.  I'm not sure of the status of any revision of the English edition.

L & N = Louw & Nida.  Greek- English Lexicon Based on Semantic Domains.  Some
love this, but I find it only occassionally useful.

LS / LSJ = Liddell-Scott-Jones.  This is the big megillah of Greek Lexica.
Since it covers the entire history of the Greek language, it is sometimes
less useful in regard to particular periods than lexica which focus on a
particular period.  It is available online at the Perseus Project

LXX = Septuagint

Robertson [A. T.]  This is a huge NT Greek grammar.  It is now becoming
somewhat dated but still has much valuable material.

Smyth [H.W] Greek Grammar.  This is arguably the best classical Greek grammar
in English.  It is available online at the Perseus Project.

TLG = Thesaurus Linguae Graecae.  This is a digital compliation of all of the
texts from Homer through the fall of Byzantium.  It can be "rented" for $300
US for a period of (I think) 3 yrs.  You can also subscribe to use it online
for 5 yrs for $400 US or 1 yr for $100 US.  You can try out a limited version
online free at http://www.tlg.uci.edu/

gfsomsel