[B-Greek] EN MESWi in Revelation

Clwinbery at aol.com Clwinbery at aol.com
Mon Feb 10 23:53:08 EST 2003

In a message dated 2/10/03 9:37:15 PM, bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca writes:

>Rev 5:6a:  KAI EIDON EN MESWI TOU QRONOU KAI TWN TESSARWN ZWiWN KAI EN
>MESWi TWN PRESBUTERWN ARNION hESTHKOS...
>When I was trying to understand what this could mean it struck me as strange
>that a lamb would be standing in the middle of the throne. Can MESOS mean
>"in between"? Something like; And I saw in between the throne and the four
>living creatures and in the midst of the elders a lamb standing... I
considered
>this possibility because EN MESWi is repeated after TESSARWN ZWiWN. If
>this is an incorrect translation, what is the reason for this repetition?
>This reasoning does not completely satisfy me because in Rev.4:6 four living
>creatures are EN MESWi TOU QRONOU. Or does it mean " close to". Maybe it
>has to be translated literally but explained in light of the type of
literature
>Revelation is? Enough rambling. Can someone help me out? Thanks.
>Bert de Haan.

The following is from BDAG without retyping all the Greek. You can look up
the references. Surely it means "among," "in the presence."

MESOS, H, ON (Hom.+). The distinction between ‘middle’ and ‘among’ for m.
is sometimes rather fluid, and some of the passages here cited may fit
equally well under 1 or 2.
    2. pert. to a position within a group, without focus on mediate position,
among.
    a. as adj. e˙ka¿qhto oJ Pe÷troß me÷soß aujtw◊n Peter was sitting among
them Lk 22:55 (the point being not as center of attention but inconspicuously
in the group; cp. Jos., Ant. 9, 107). me÷soß uJmw◊n eºsthken J 1:26 (Jos.,
Ant. 14, 23). touv pu/rgou me÷sou Hs 9, 8, 2. ei•don . . . me÷son aujtw◊n
to\n Pauvlon AcPl Ha 11, 14.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College