[B-Greek] EN MESWi in Revelation

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Mon Feb 10 23:04:03 EST 2003

In a message dated 2/10/2003 10:37:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca writes:

> Rev 5:6a:  KAI EIDON EN MESWI TOU QRONOU KAI TWN TESSARWN ZWiWN KAI EN MESWi
> TWN PRESBUTERWN ARNION hESTHKOS...
> When I was trying to understand what this could mean it struck me as
> strange that a lamb would be standing in the middle of the throne. Can
> MESOS mean "in between"? Something like; And I saw in between the throne
> and the four living creatures and in the midst of the elders a lamb
> standing... I considered this possibility because EN MESWi is repeated
> after TESSARWN ZWiWN. If this is an incorrect translation, what is the
> reason for this repetition?
> This reasoning does not completely satisfy me because in Rev.4:6 four
> living creatures are EN MESWi TOU QRONOU. Or does it mean " close to".
> Maybe it has to be translated literally but explained in light of the type
> of literature Revelation is? Enough rambling. Can someone help me out?
> Thanks.

Like much in the Apocalypse this reflects an Hebraic manner of speech.  In
Gen 3.15 we read

W:)"YBf) )f$iYT ** B."YN:Kf  W.B"YN ** Hf)i$.fH ** W.B"YN ** ZaR:(:aKf **
W.B"YN ** ZaR:(fH.

This translates extremely literally as "And enmity I will set between you and
between the woman and between your seed and between her seed . . ."

This means that the EN MESWi is "between" and that some of the "between's"
can be dropped in translation.

gfsomsel