[B-Greek] LXX perplexity: Wever on Dt 4:1

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue Feb 4 14:28:51 EST 2003

In a message dated 2/4/2003 2:05:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bgreek at ntresources.com writes:

> In Wever's (very helpful) commentary on the Greek text of Deut, he notes a
> word added to the LXX that is not in MT (SHMERON) and then explains
> (cryptically to me!): "The addition is ex par." The footnote at that point
> refers to his vol. on the history of Greek text of Deut (to which I do not
> have access). Can anyone offer a clarification?

Not having Weaver's commentary on the LXX of Deut or his volume on the
history of the Greek text, I am guessing regarding what is meant here.

I would think that ex par refers to parallel passages.  If so he is saying
that SHMERON is added from parallel passages (presumably in Deut).  I think
Deut 6.6 would be a prime candidate for this.  It there reads

W:HfYW. HaD.:BfRiYM Hf)"L.eH ):a$eR )fNoKiY M:CaW.:Kf ** HaYoWM ** (Heb)

KAI ESTAI TA hRHMATA TAUTA, hOSA EGW ENTELLOMAI SOI ** SHMERON **

gfsomsel