Discourse Analysis - SIL Textbooks

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 29 14:21:00 EDT 2002

 Have any of you professors found *Levinsohn and/or Dooley difficult to use
in the classroom? The SIL publications on DA are written for a target
audience made up of linguists and translators in training.  How well do
these books perform in a class room of seminary students?

I must admit that I find Levinsohn somewhat difficult to digest. I was not
aware of how much trouble I was having with it until I got my hands on
**Brown & Yule, which is much easier to understand.

I would appreciate some comments from teachers who have used these SIL books
in a classroom setting.

thanks

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*Levinsohn, Stephen Discourse Features of New Testament Greek,2nd Ed.
 SIL2000.

*Dooley, Robert A. and Stephen H. Levinsohn, Analyzing Discourse:
A Manual of Basic Concepts, SIL 2000

**Brown, G. and G. Yule. Discourse Analysis. Cambridge: Cambridge UP,
1983.

Brown & Yule is old (1983) and it does not address NT Greek, but it is more
accessible IMHO than either of the SIL books. It is probably not a good
choice for a NT Greek curriculum.