diachronic explanation of 1st/2nd aorist

Clwinbery at aol.com Clwinbery at aol.com
Mon May 27 14:23:00 EDT 2002

Harry wrote:
 *** I appreciate you and Carl sharing your information on third aorists and
  I have found it very interesting. If there is something that will make
  learning NT Greek easyer I just cann't see anything wrong with it.

  I've printed out what you and Carl have said and will be studying it.

  Best Regards,***

I have been wanting to comment on the "3rd aorist" since this string picked it up again and also say a word to those who have asked the difference between Brooks & Winbery Morphology and the one by Mounce.

In Brooks and Winbery, Morphology we deal with the non-thematic second aorist which in the NT involves the words, hISTHMI and compounds, BAINW and compounds, GINWSKW and compounds, and DUNW (one instance of the 3rd sg. EDU) in the active voice and TIQHMI and compounds and DIDWMI and compounds in the middle voice. Of course the non-thematic aorist "passive" is a different thing. We think the description "non-thematic" second aorist is more appropriate for such a small group of morphological forms. The fact that it takes -SAN for the 3rd plural does not mark this as a separate congugation but is common when the ending follows a long vowel/diphthong (in most instances).

I am not going to give extensive comments on Mounce's Morphology. It came out just 4 months after ours did. There are many things alike between the two works. This is because we both had almost identical purposes.

For those who want a beginning study of morphological "rules," our second chapter on "Phonetic change" gives the simplist statement of the rules from the perspective of the alphabet and how letters interact with each other. In the rest 9of the book the paragraph numbers are used to refer back to the "rules" when phonetic change takes place. We think that this is the best way to become aware of the phonetic change--by continual recognition of what's happening as you read texts in the language.Another strong aspect of our Morphology is the chapter on Introduction to the verb that classifies the verbs according to six basic types. Between this chapter and the first appendix that list verbs with every form which appears in the GNT according to principal parts a student can learn to parse verbs with confidence. For instance a class V verb is one that adds SK or ISK to the verb stem to form the stem for the first principal part. This includes GINWSKW which also reduplicates in the first principal part--GIG becomes GIN. I repeat that if a person masters chapter eight and appendix one, that person would not have any trouble parsing verbs.

Grace,

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College