hUPOAKOUO

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 27 02:17:32 EDT 2002

on 5/26/02 9:49 PM, David Bielby wrote:

> I'm reading a devotional book which disects the compound verb
> "hUPO AKOUO". The author says the real meaning of the word is to
> hear under. So therefore obedience involves listening attentively with a
> heart of compliant submission and, then, obeying His word.
>
> This doesn't strike me as a sound approach to the text.  What input can
> you give on this approach?

David,

Is this a book by Earl Palmer? Sounds like him.

What you see here in this devotional book is not lexical semantics but
rather a *sermon strategy* which is used by some very successful and widely
published pastors/authors.

Some compound words in NT Greek are etymologically transparent. Their
meaning is clearly related to the elements of the compound. However, one
should never assume that a compound is transparent. Often the words with
prefixed prepositions have semantic domains that could not be mapped out by
an analysis of the individual elements. So, this kind of logic is best
avoided.

In cases of desperation, like a hapaxlego in a highly ambiguous context, you
will find good solid exegetes employing this sort of analysis. But there is
no excuse to employ it with hUPAKOUW which is a common word and is not
etymologically transparent.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

For a detailed discussion of this read:

Silva, Moises. Biblical words and their meaning: an introduction to
 lexical semantics. Rev. and expanded ed. 1994.

D. A. Carson, Exegetical Fallacies, Baker 1984.