Imperative or Indicative in John 14:1

Charles Wiese crw2 at calvin.edu
Sun May 26 13:10:47 EDT 2002

In Robertson's Word Pictures he supports the idea of reading both
statements as imperatives. 'Believe in God, and believe in Me.'

However Jamieson-Fausset-Brown in their commentary on this passage examine
the four possibilities (imp./imp.), (ind./ind.), (imp./ind.), and
(ind./imp.), quoting who subscribed to each and they seemed to side with
the idea of the first being an indicative. The fourth option is also
presented with the possibility of the first statement being taken as a
question. ('Believe ye in God? Believe also in me.) They seem to favor the
idea of the first being an indicative and the second being an imerative.
'Ye believe in God, believe also in me.' I have a limited knowledge of
Greek but in context this seems to make the most sense to me.

Charles Wiese
Calvin College
Grand Rapids, MI
crw2 at calvin.edu