Perfective, Imperfective, and Iterative

Mike Sangrey msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Fri May 24 08:53:31 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 02:03, Rolf Furuli wrote:

<snip>

> The following terms are fundamental and uniform, and are, in my view;
> the best to describe the difference between Aktionsart and aspect:
>
> DURATIVITY
> DYNAMICITY
> TELICITY
> STATIVITY
> DEICTIC POINT
> DEICTIC TIME
> NON-DEICTIC TIME
> EVENT TIME
> [REFERENCE TIME--Mike S., added as per Rolf's comment next]
>
> The term REFERENCE TIME can have a somewhat different definition
> (e.g. Comrie and Reichenbach versus Broman Olsen), but the term is
> very important, and to come to grips with it is well worth the
> efforts.

Rolf,  I think it would be helpful to the non-experts on list for you to
define each of these 9 terms.  It might also generate some discussion
about the definitions which will also be helpful to everyone.  I'd like
to see you express in the definitions the "fundamental and uniform"
nature of this group, but that's just my suggestion based on my own
personal interest.

Thanks.
--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."