Perfective, Imperfective, and Iterative

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Fri May 24 02:03:41 EDT 2002

Dear Ward,

It is difficult to communicate when the parties use the same term in
different senses, or different terms in the same sense. I am
definitely against an inflation of terms where new terms constantly
are invented.

The reason why I have taken issue with the terms used by Moulton, is
that these terms have a different application in modern linguistics,
i.e. durativity and punctiliarity are Aktionsart terms, so it will
just create confusion to apply them to aspect. This is a situation
where the same term is used in two different senses, one by old Greek
grammarians, and one by modern linguists. Therefore we have to
abandon one of them.

Please consider the examples below:

(1) John 20:4 Both were running (TRECW imperfect)

(2) John 20:2 She ran (TRECW present)

(3) Mark 5:6 He ran (TRECW aorist)

(4) 1 Corinthians 9:24 the runners (TRECW present participle) in a
race all run (TRECW present)

Something is durative when it has duration, when it is ongoing. The
verb TRECW is "born" durative; it can never cease to be durative. So
how can we say that the verbs in (1), (2) and (4) have a durative
aspect while (3) has a punctiliar aspect? Can aspect make verbs more
or less durative when durativity is a semantc (uncancellable)
property of a verb?

Please also consider the examples below:

(5) John 3:16 God loved the world (AGAPAW aorist)

(6) John 20:15 Do you love (AGAPAW present) me

(7) 1 John 4.10 that we have loved (AGAPAW perfect) God

(8) John 14:23 the Father will love (AGAPAW) him

(9) John 11:4 Jesus loved (AGAPAW imperfect) Martha

States are by definition durative situations that continues without
any input of energy. The state "to love" is by definition durative
and can never cease to be so. How then can we rightly say that (6)
and (9) have a durative aspect but not (5) and (7) which are
punctiliar? And another question: Did the state og God's loving the
world (5) cease sometimes in the past or does it still hold? And did
Jesus' love for Martha and her family cease the day when the words
were uttered or did it continue?

Today when linguistics has progressed immensely compared with the
days of Moulton, the terms "durative" and "punctiliar" are no longer
satisfactory as descriptions of aspects. Each student should not coin
his or her own terms, but we should not object to the use of terms
that have a fundamental an uniform meaning inside linguistics. It
will be an advantage of all students of Greek to learn such terms
rather than to be misled by the obsolete terms of the old grammars.

The following terms are fundamental and uniform, and are, in my view;
the best to describe the difference between Aktionsart and aspect:

DURATIVITY
DYNAMICITY
TELICITY
STATIVITY
DEICTIC POINT
DEICTIC TIME
NON-DEICTIC TIME
EVENT TIME

The term REFERENCE TIME can have a somewhat different definition
(e.g. Comrie and Reichenbach versus Broman Olsen), but the term is
very important, and to come to grips with it is well worth the
efforts.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli