Greek Texts

Andrew W. Carlson andrewwcarlson at nctimes.net
Thu May 23 21:11:51 EDT 2002

It seems that the United Bible Socity or the Nestle-Aland text is the
preferred Greek New Testament. I do not wish to stir up atomic shock
waves, but I would simply like to relay some information I have learned
from books by Dr. Edward Hill, Dr. D.A. Waite, G.A. Riplinger and others.

The Greek texts mentioned above are based on two manuscripts.

1. Codex Vaticinus: was found in the pope's library in Rome in about 1481.

2. Codes Sinaiticus: was found in an Orthodox monastery at the foot of Mt.
Sinai in 1844, by Tischendorf. Tischendorf reported that the Orthodox
monks were intending on burning this manuscript, but he presuaded them to
salvage it and allow him to study this manuscript.

Wescott and Hort relied only on these two manuscripts when creating the
Greek texts which are mainly used today. (The UBS and Nestle-Aland) The
Vaticanus and Sinaiticus texts were based on manuscripts created by
scholars in Alexandria who felt at liberty to change the Word of God as
they pleased, to fit their own ideas. (A.D. 175-225)

On the other hand, it is widely known, (but not often openly stated), that
the Textus Receptus is based on nearly 5000 reliable manuscripts which
agree with each other in almost every detail. No vital doctrines are lost
or changed in any of these manuscripts. Also, some of the greatest
scholars who ever lived, the King James Version translators, chose this
text above the Vaticanus and Sinaiticus. (Yes, the KJV translators were
well aware of these texts and others similar to them.)

Therefore,

I have decided to stand firm with the Textus Receptus.

Please reply off-board if you feel the discution get to heated.

Andrew W. Carlson