CAIREIN in 2 John 10

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue May 21 10:14:18 EDT 2002

At 9:05 AM -0500 5/21/02, boyd at huxcomm.net wrote:
>Dear B-Greekers,
>
>I was wondering if CAIREIN in 2 John 10 could be understood as
>direct discourse, rather than indirect.  Or am I misunderstanding
>something here?  If it were indirect discourse, what would the direct
>discourse have been?
>
>2 John 10
>EI TIS ERCETAI PROS hUMAS KAI TAUTHN THN DIDACHN OU
>FEREI, MH LAMBANETE AUTON EIS OIKIAN KAI CAIREIN
>AUTWi MH LEGETE.

Here, as not infrequently, LEGETE is equivalent to KELEUETE (as when in
English we use "tell" in the sense of "command"). Since CAIRE/CAIRETE is an
imperative in the sense "be happy", the sense of the last compound clause
in the verse is, I think, "... don't welcome him into (your) house and
don't tell him to 'be happy', i.e. don't greet him." I think then that
CAIREIN here is simply a complementary infinitive with MH LEGETE AUTWi.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com