Perfective, Imperfective, and Iterative

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue May 21 06:43:47 EDT 2002

At 2:24 AM -0400 5/21/02, Harry W. Jones wrote:
>Dear Carl,
>
>I really wish people would define their terms when their definitions may
>be different from the dictionary ones. I'm having a hard time
>understanding
>some of the articles on B-greek because of this. In fact, I'm having
>a hard time understanding Mark's article. And I definitely cann't
>understand Rolf's article.
>
>I might add that I think Wallace's definition of aspect vs aktionsart on
>page 499 may be different than your definition, Carl.

I was essentially asking a question about definition, not so much proposing
my own definition--and precisely because Mark and Rolf (and others) didn't
seem to me to be using the same terms for the same referents. I personally
think that studies of aspect in the Greek verb are still in their early
stages and that they will not gain maturity unless and until some real
degree of consensus is reached about both the terminology and the
categories of explanation of verbal aspect.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com