hOI for some in Mt 28:17?

Manolis Nikolaou aei_didaskomenos at hotmail.com
Mon May 20 14:26:46 EDT 2002

> Stephen Levinsohn says "[DE] is used to mark new developments, in the
> sense that the information it introduces and builds on what has gone
> before and makes a distinct contribution to the argument."[1]  In this
> context, and supported by your point that hOI has to "point" to
> participants in the text, this means that the action indicated by the
> second verb is a "new development" but "introduces and builds on" the
> previous one.  The contrastive force, BTW, comes from the lexical
> semantics of the verbs and not the DE.
>
> That, coupled with the fact that these disciples had just got hit along
> side the head with a baseball bat the size of a resurrected Messiah who
> didn't overthrow Rome, tends to make me think that those who weren't
> certain were also those who believed.  Let me ask you, what state of
> mind do you think Paul (Saul) was in between the blinding and Damascus?
> Well, we don't know for sure, but he didn't eat or drink for three days
> (cf Acts 9:9).  One disturbed fellow.  I think you can see that we can't
> expect these people to just say, "Duh!"
>
> In other words, AUTON PROSEKUNHSAN, hOI DE EDISTASAN, "they believed him
> but struggled with their uncertainty."  This flows quite nicely into the
> following statement.
>
> ---
> [1] Discourse Features of NT Greek, pg 112
> --
> Mike Sangrey
> msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
> Landisburg, Pa.
>                         "The first one last wins."
>             "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."

KAI IDONTES AUTON PROSEKUNHSAN AUTWi, hOI DE EDISTASAN.

As Mr. Conrad has written, this is a standard and really old usage of the
definite article + DE in Greek. A few examples drawn from NT have been
stated, as well. So your way of understanding is not really sound,
because:

"… but struggled with their uncertainty" would be "EDISTASAN DE" not "hOI
DE EDISTASAN". The article hOI (before DE) is what makes all the
difference here.

Regards,
Manolis Nikolaou
Greece