hOI for some in Mt 28:17?

Mike Sangrey msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Mon May 20 12:28:25 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 08:01, richard smith wrote:

> I was not so much questioning the independent use of the article, as I was
> questioning the use of DE as a contrast or as a switch reference
> conjunction.
>
> Manolis gave 2 other examples at Mt 26:67 and Acts 17:18.  There are
> certainly many other examples of this switch reference construction, but
> in general do they not have an obvious referent in preceding verses?
>
> The only referent for the pronominal use of the article is the eleven
> disciples.
>
> Then my question is whether the hOI DE means they (all of the eleven),
> some of the eleven, or some others who are not mentioned as an antecedent.

Stephen Levinsohn says "[DE] is used to mark new developments, in the
sense that the information it introduces and builds on what has gone
before and makes a distinct contribution to the argument."[1]  In this
context, and supported by your point that hOI has to "point" to
participants in the text, this means that the action indicated by the
second verb is a "new development" but "introduces and builds on" the
previous one.  The contrastive force, BTW, comes from the lexical
semantics of the verbs and not the DE.

That, coupled with the fact that these disciples had just got hit along
side the head with a baseball bat the size of a resurrected Messiah who
didn't overthrow Rome, tends to make me think that those who weren't
certain were also those who believed.  Let me ask you, what state of
mind do you think Paul (Saul) was in between the blinding and Damascus?
Well, we don't know for sure, but he didn't eat or drink for three days
(cf Acts 9:9).  One disturbed fellow.  I think you can see that we can't
expect these people to just say, "Duh!"

In other words, AUTON PROSEKUNHSAN, hOI DE EDISTASAN, "they believed him
but struggled with their uncertainty."  This flows quite nicely into the
following statement.

---
[1] Discourse Features of NT Greek, pg 112
--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."