Hebrew undertext in John?

Dennis Bass dbass at psusd.k12.ca.us
Mon May 20 11:32:28 EDT 2002

In reviewing some comments regarding the language structure in the beginning of the gospel of John, I came across the statement that the first 8 chapters show the possibility of an original Hebrew text.  There are certainly Greek to Hebrew equivalent words, such as MONOGENEIS and YACHEED ("only one", or "only son" in translations KJV or NIV).  I spoke with David Bivin regarding this (in passing) and he mentioned a study which contradicted this theory.  Can anyone give me any further information regarding this?  I'm doing a short article on John and want to get as much background information as I can.
Thanks,
Dennis Bass
Palm Springs, Ca.