hOI for some in Mt 28:17?

richard smith rbsads at aol.com
Mon May 20 08:01:39 EDT 2002

Dear Manolis and Carl,

Thank you.

I was not so much questioning the independent use of the article, as I was
questioning the use of DE as a contrast or as a switch reference
conjunction.

Manolis gave 2 other examples at Mt 26:67 and Acts 17:18.  There are
certainly many other examples of this switch reference construction, but
in general do they not have an obvious referent in preceding verses?

The only referent for the pronominal use of the article is the eleven
disciples.

Then my question is whether the hOI DE means they (all of the eleven),
some of the eleven, or some others who are not mentioned as an antecedent.

In the first instance, the DE would not be used as a switch reference, but
would have had its contrasting force directed towards the image of
worshiping despite a presence of doubt. (Or so I had thought.)

This translation seemed possible to me because I could not find an
antecedent for the switch reference force of DE.  I did not know of a
grammatical or linguistic reason for translating hOI as some. (I
understood its independent use had more of a demonstrative force.)

Accepting that hOI DE is here a switch reference device, as it is rendered
in the translations, and that also it must have an identified antecedent,
then I suppose the verse means that some of the disciples doubted.

This would, I think, be consistent with the use of hOI DE in Acts 17:18.

"and some (KAI TINES) (of the philosophers) said "What would this babbler
want to say? But some (hOI DE) of them said, "He seems to be a proclaimer
of foreign gods." (A contrast of support among a group that is generally
antagonistic. As in Mt 28:17, with a contrast of doubt among a group that
is generally worshiping.)

The example in Mt 26:67 is more like how I previously understood the
switch reference use of the article with DE.  It refers back to a
previously mentioned antecedent. While this use is correct, I am thankful
for your help in recognizing this other switch reference use.

And Manolis, I think "others/some among them" is exactly how hOI DE should
be understood in such cases.

Thank you,

Richard Smith
Chattanooga, TN