hOI for some in Mt 28:17?

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon May 20 06:33:04 EDT 2002

At 11:04 PM -0400 5/19/02, richard smith wrote:
>Mt 28:17 KAI IDONTES AUTON PROSEKUNHSAN,hOI DE EDISTASAN
>
>Are there grammatical reasons that hOI is generally translated as "some"
>rather that as "they"?
>
>Someone from another list suggested that DE might be considered as
>switching subjects, but it seems more reasonable to me to understand DE in
>this verse as presenting the doubt in contrast to the worshiping posture.

This is a standard usage, as old as Homer and in keeping with the original
function of what later became the article as a demonstrative pronoun (=
"he/she/it, etc."). As such this pronominal usage is, in fact, the very
first usage listed for the article hO/hH/TO, circled item "c" under "1."
Cf. Wallace, GGBB, pp. 211-12, BDF #251, ATRobertson, pp. 693-5.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com