hOI for some in Mt 28:17?

Manolis Nikolaou aei_didaskomenos at hotmail.com
Mon May 20 05:23:11 EDT 2002

> Mt 28:17 KAI IDONTES AUTON PROSEKUNHSAN,hOI DE EDISTASAN
>
> Are there grammatical reasons that hOI is generally translated as "some"
> rather that as "they"?
>
> Someone from another list suggested that DE might be considered as
> switching subjects, but it seems more reasonable to me to understand DE in
> this verse as presenting the doubt in contrast to the worshiping posture.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard Smith
> Chattanooga, TN

Mt 16: 67  TOTE ENEPTUSAN EIS TO PROSWPON AUTOU KAI EKOLAFISAN AUTON, OI
DE ERRAPISAN.

This is similar, no? DE does switch subjects somehow in both cases. You
may also have a look at Acts 17:18. I think "others among them" is the
best way to understand OI DE in such cases.

Regards,
Manolis Nikolaou
Greece