Titus 2:12 Explicative OUDE

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sun May 19 06:39:40 EDT 2002

At 2:25 PM -0500 5/18/02, Frazier Conley wrote:
>1 Timothy 2:12. DIDASKEIN DE GUNAIKI OUK EPITREPW OUDE AUQENTEIN ANDROS ALL'
>EINAI EN hHSUCIA.
>
>Lenski calls OUDE in this sentence "explicative OUDE."
>
>He says, "If this statement were positive it would be followed by an
>explicative KAI; since it is negative, we have explicative OUDE, for
>'neither to excercise authority over a man' states the point involved in the
>forbidding 'to teach.'"
>
>I think he is correct, however, I cannot find "explicative OUDE" in my
>grammars. Any input?

I haven't noticed the term, but the adjective means "explanatory." When
used of KAI I'd think it would refer to a KAI followed by a word that makes
explicit what the intended implication of the preceding word , so of OUDE,
an OUDE followed by a word making explicited the intended implication of
the previous word governed by the OU. So here: OUDE AUQENTEIN would have
the sense "nor even" and would be equivalent to a KAI OU.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com