Acts 16:25

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat May 18 17:50:45 EDT 2002

At 3:38 PM -0500 5/18/02, Vincent M. Setterholm wrote:
>Right, and that is certainly in line with what Bauer says about the word.
>Can anyone think of a good reason why hUMNEW is not handled this way in Heb
>2:12 (NIV or NASB)?  (Understanding that this isn't a forum for critiquing
>English translations, just wondering if anyone sees anything in the Greek
>that I am missing that could support those readings.)  I am just starting to
>learn Hebrew, but when I look at Psalm 22:23, where Hebrews 2:12 seems to be
>quoting, the second person singular masculine suffix on halel seems to
>indicate 'to' here as well.

Heb 2:12 in GNT reads LEGWN APAGGELW TO ONOMA SOU TOIS ADELFOIS MOU, EN
MESWi EKKLHSIAS hUMNHSW SE. and it mirrors exactly Ps 21:23 in LXX. The
Greek usage is consistent. MT there reads HaLLaLKha, consistent with the
Greek accusative SE. How the versions put that into idiomatic English is
another matter altogether.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com