The opening of 1 Peter

Steven Sheeley ssheeley at shorter.edu
Fri May 17 14:33:38 EDT 2002

It looks to me that the sentence admits to three possibilities.  The
first--conjecturing a word--is most likely not the reading.  The other two
are that the prepositions modify either APOSTOLOS (that is, that Peter's
apostolic calling was "according to the predestination/foreknowledge of
God") or EKLEKTOIS (that their choosing/election was "according to the
predestination/foreknowledge . . . .").  Were this Paul, I think that the
former choice might be in order as a reading--although his sentence
structure is usually a little more straightforward.  As this is 1 Peter, and
the emphasis throughout the book is on the status of his readers as elect
sojourners, I would lean toward interpreting this sentence to let the
prepositions modify EKLEKTOIS.

Steven M. Sheeley, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs
Shorter College
(706) 233-7259
ssheeley at shorter.edu