About gender use.

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed May 15 10:21:53 EDT 2002

At 10:06 AM -0400 5/15/02, jhonhar at juno.com wrote:
>All,
>Information presented very helpful. But, how does PETRA  (Noun, Fem.
>Sing. Nom.) at 1 Co. 10:4 fit into discussion where Petra is applied to
>Christ? Also Gk. has PETRAS (Noun, Fem. Sing. Gen.) together in same
>text.

It doesn't. Text: KAI PANTES TO AUTO PNEUMATIKON EPION POMA: EPINON GAR EK
PNEUMATIKHS AKOLOUQOUSHS PETRAS, hH PETRA DE HN hO CRISTOS.

I think it's a mistake to endeavor to understand PETRA in Mt 16:18-19 in
the same sense as PETRA in 1 Cor 10:4. It's unquestionably the same noun
and does mean "massive rock", but the metaphorical referent in the two
instances need not be, and I do not think it is, the same in both
instances. Again in Mt 7:24-25 the same word PETRA is used and again an
analogy is offered of building a structure on a solid foundation, as in Mt
16:18-19. But surely it would be a mistake to endeavor to refer all
instances of PETRA in the GNT to the same referent. Each text has to be
understood on its own terms and in its own context.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com