Romans 3:23 - USTEROUNTAI

Jeff Young youngman at triad.rr.com
Tue May 14 11:27:01 EDT 2002

Hello all. A question regarding Romans 3:23.

PANTES GAR HMARTON KAI USTEROUNTAI THS DOXHS TOU QEOU

("For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God")

Excuse me if this is an "interpretive" question rather than a BG question
(I'm not trying to raise any theological issues). I am wondering how
USTEROUNTAI should be taken here.

I have come across a couple of views on this:
1) USTEROUNTAI is connected with HMARTON. It is a result of all having
sinned. That is, "since all have sinned, they fall short."

2) USTEROUNTAI is a separate point. That is, "all have sinned (aorist) and
are presently continuing to fall short" (Given the present tense).

Is there anything, grammatically, that favors one over the other (or perhaps
a third option).

Thank you.

Jeff Young