Ge'enna & 'ades

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon May 13 19:40:50 EDT 2002

At 6:22 PM +0000 5/13/02, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Just a brief observation here:
>
>>hADHS  hades, hell  (10)
>>	Matt. 11:23   hUYWQHSH? hEWS hAiDOU KATABHSHi
>>	Matt. 16:18   EKKLHSIAN KAI PULAI hAiDOU OU KATISCUSOUSIN AUTHS
>>	Luke 10:15   hEWS OURANOU hUYWQHSH? hEWS hAiDOU KATABHSHi
>>	Luke 16:23  KAI EN TWi hAiDHi EPARAS TOUS OFQALMOUS
>>	Acts 2:27   YUCHN MOU EIS hAiDHN OUDE DWSEIS TON ...
>>	Acts 2:31   OUTE EGKATELEIFQH EIS hAiDHN OUTE hH SARX ...
>>	Rev. 1:18  TAS KLEIS TOU QANATOU KAI TOU hAiDOU
>>	Rev. 6:8   QANATOS, KAI hO hAiDHS HKOLOUQEI MET' AUTOU
>>	Rev. 20:13   QANATOS KAI hO hAiDHS EDWKAN TOUS NEKROUS
>>	Rev. 20:14   QANATOS KAI hO hAiDHS EBLHQHSAN EIS THN ...
>>

>You will note that all these references are related to the OT.
>
>In the OT, you had Sheol, which corresponds to hADES in the NT.
>Sheol was comprised of all the dead, both righteous and unrighteous,
>but after Christ lead captivity away, Sheol no longer seems to have
>a compartment for the righteous. That is, in the OT, the redeemed
>went to Abraham's bosom; in the NT, the redeemed go immediately
>into the presence of the Lord.
>
>In the OT, the redeemed expected to depart to Abraham's bosom,
>where they awaited the resurrection at the final day.
>
>The parable of the rich man and Lazarus shows these two
>compartments. And some argue that the wicked demons
>that are in Tartarus were yet in another compartment
>within the Sheol complex.

This isn't so much wrong as it oversimplifies a considerably more complex
picture For one thing, Tartarus belongs to Greek cultural notions, not
Hebraic ones, and in some instances hAiDHS seems to be a metaphor for
death. I would simply suggest that those concerned with this issue check
what BDAG and Louw & Nida offer for hAiDHS.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com