LOGIKOS 2

Troels Hansen tkmh at get2net.dk
Sun May 12 17:22:28 EDT 2002

Aarhus, Denmark, May 12. 2002.

Dear Sirs!

First, I would like to thank you all for your comments on my 'LOGIKOS'
troubles!

But I haven't made myself absolutely clear. So let me put it straight
to you: There is in my mind nothing spiritual and nothing mystical,
nothing that cannot be unveiled by a little rational thinking in the
meaning of 'LOGIKOS'. My point is that there is a relation hidden in
it. Allow me to give an example: Before the U.S. invaded Afghanistan,
the Russians warned them not to do so as it would only be the
beginning of a new Viet Nam. The Russians hadn't exactly been
successful in Afghanistan; in fact, it had been something of a Viet
Nam to them. In NT-Greek, Afghanistan was the Russians 'LOGIKOS' Viet
Nam. What Viet Nam had been to the U.S., Afghanistan was to the
Russians. What milk is to newborn babies, Christ - or the living
stone - should be to the elected ones. What the offerings and the
sacrifices in the Temple of Jerusalem were to the Israelites, the
presentation of their bodies as a sacrifice should be to the Romans.

Put in another way: If A is related to B in a specific way and if C is
related to D in that way too then D is C's LOGIKOS B. Let A = newborn
babies, B = milk, C = the elected ones, and D = the living stone,
then - supposing the elected ones do desire the living stone as babies
desire milk - then the living stone, D, becomes the elected ones' -
C's - LOGIKOS milk - LOGIKOS B. All this is - if seen - most easily
seen in 1 Pet. 2:2 as we here have all the ingredients - the babies,
the milk, the elected ones, and the living stone - present. We do not
have all the ingredients in Rom. 12:1, we have to provide them and let
A = the Israelites and B = the offerings and the sacrifices in the
Temple in order to make sense of the word 'LOGIKOS' there; that is for
the Romans' - C's - presentation of their bodies, D, to become their
LOGIKOS sacrifice and offering, their LOGIKOS B.

I know of no word in either English, German, or Danish that behaves in
the way LOGIKOS does - given that it does behave in this way, which is
after all still to be decided - but the German 'angemessen' seems to
me to do better than other suggestions. 'Logical' may come close but
is still too far off. But then again, English is not my mother tongue
so I'll have to let the English and the Americans decide on that. (Why
don't we have a word like 'logikosical'? That would solve all the
problems!)

Finally to you, Iver Larsen: I thank you too for your thorough answer!
Now, I have looked up the word 'LOGIKOS' in Moulton and Milligan: "The
Vocabulary of the Greek Testament". They provide some examples that
should illustrate the NT use of the word 'LOGIKOS' - although I don't
quite see how they could do so unless they actually knew what the word
meant. And they don't; they only reproduce the old fallacies. I quote: