Ephesians 2:8

Dennis Hukel hukel at bhiinc.com
Fri May 10 14:38:11 EDT 2002

>>>Why is TOUTO in Ephesians 2:8 in the Neuter form. Is it referring to
PISTEWS, XARITI, both or neither?<<<

Dear Group,

I have recently come to agree with Carl, however, there is one neuter noun in the previous verse which is neuter
singular and could be the antecedent of TOUTO in verse 8. That noun is PLOUTOS (wealth, riches). If we understand the
riches of God's grace to include everything we experience (including our faith and salvation), then the resulting sense
is semantically similar to taking TOUTO to refer to what has just been written.

As I said, I have come to agree with Carl, but it is interesting that the author chose to make PLOUTOS neuter here
(since it is usually masculine) and give this passage a potentially deeper meaning.

Dennis Hukel
hukel at bhiinc.com