opening of Romans and definite articles

ENS PJ Abshire USNR paulsdomain at yahoo.com
Wed May 8 23:11:20 EDT 2002

Greetings all ~

This is my first post.  A friend and I are going to read through some of Romans.  Looking at the greeting, I had the feeling that the presence or absence of definite articles for some of the nouns does not correspond one for one to the definiteness or indefiniteness of those nouns.  Is there some plasticicty here or not?

Another (unrelated) question - what is the significance, if any, of the mixed case "EN IHSOU XPISTW"?

Thanks all, and especially to those who maintain this list.

ENS Paul Abshire USN