Mt 18:3 double negative??!?

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Wed May 8 19:16:49 EDT 2002

In a message dated 5/8/2002 6:10:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jwest at highland.net writes:

>How should we understand the strong double negative: hO MH
> which Jesus used in such passages such as Mt 18:3?  I'm preaching on this
>section in a month, and I've discovered this device more than once in the
>NT....could we say "not not"?  There has to be a way to describe it to the
>congregation which surpasses the typical "never" translation....thanks for
>the help!

perhaps a dynamic equivalent like "hell no" which in english carries
essentially the same force as the double negative in koine.

that said- i doubt a congregation would be too awfully thrilled with such a
rendering - so maybe you could offer them the much softened "may it NEVER
be" or some such.
__________________

KAI EIPEN; AMHN LEGW hUMIN, EAN MH STRAFHTE KAI GENHSQE hWS TA PAIDIA, OU MH
EISELQHTE EIS THN BASILEIAN TWN OURANWN.

I don't know that there really is a better translation than "never."  It
seems to me that the use of "never" would be stronger than simply saying
"not." Compare the two translations below.

"you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven."

"you shall never enter the kingdom of heaven." [I think this is stronger than
above]

or, you might try

"you shall in no manner enter the kingdom of heaven.

gfsomsel