Question on John 21:15

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Thu May 9 03:48:38 EDT 2002

> >>  Do you love me more than these [love me]?
> >> Do you love me more than [you love] these?
> >
> >>Is it ambiguous in the Greek, too?
> >
> >> Helmut Richter
> >
> >Could someone give a definite answer? =20
>

> ah-- the old definitive answer... that's what i live for.  ;-)
>
> toutwn here equals *disciples* (ablative of comparison).
>
> ergo- *do you love me more than these disciples do?*
>
> there- definitively, concretely, and absolutely!
>
> jim

I am definitely in absolute agreement with Jim :-)

Just an added contextual thought which I think supports it. According to
Matt 26:33 and Mark 14:29 Peter had assured Jesus that he loved him more
than all the other disciples. There Peter said: "Even if all the others may
fail you, I will not do so."
In John 21, Jesus offers Peter a chance to counter his three denials by
three assertions of love. Peter hesitantly and humbly does so, now
recognizing his frailty.

Iver Larsen