Jn 17:3 and 10

richard smith rbsads at aol.com
Tue May 7 08:30:38 EDT 2002

Two separate questions concerning this passage.

17:3 hAUTH DE ESTIN AIWNIOS ZWH hINA GINWSKWSIN SE TON MONON ALHQINON QEON
KAI hON APESTEILAS IHSOUN CRISTON

The accusatives, TON MONON ALHQINON QEON and CRISTOS, are normally
translated in apposition. Can they be understood as the complement
accusatives in an object-complement construction?

The verse would be something like "And this is eternal life that they know
you as the only true God and Jesus, whom you sent, as Christ."

It may be telling that I have found no translation that treat the
accusatives in such a way.  However, GINWSKW is listed by Wallace as a
verb that can take object-complements.

The second question is about the referent in verse 10.

17:10 KAI TA EMA PANTA SA ESTIV KAI TA SA EMA, KAI DEDOXASMAI EN AUTOIS.

Do the neuter plurals TA and SA refer to the disciples? or is there some
impersonal referent that I am missing? Is this a use of the neuter plural
article as a personal/demonstrative pronoun for people?

Thank you,

Richard Smith
Chattanooga, TN