AIWN in 1 Tim. 1.17

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Sat May 4 10:03:43 EDT 2002

While checking my memory regarding usage of the word AIWN in both the LXX and
NT due to a comment that implied that AIWN most properly referred to "age"
(thereby rejecting the meaning "eternal", "eternity", "world") I ran across
this comment in Louw & Nida:
___________

67.143 AIWN, WNOS m:  a unit of time as a particular stage or period of
history -- 'age, era.'  . . .

In 1 Tm 1.17 (TWi DE BASILEI TWN AIWNWN literally 'to the king of the ages')
the genitive phrase TWN AIWNWN is better understood as an abstract of
unlimited extent of time, and accordingly, one may translate more accurately
as 'the eternal king.'  Compare . . .
____________

Generally I would agree with this statement.  There is, however, one problem
with regard to this particular usage.  The phrase reminds me of a section of
the Jewish blessing of the bread

B.fRW.K )fT.fH ): YY eLoH"YNW. MeLeK Ha(oLaM Mo+iY) LeXeM MiN Hf)fRe+
Blessed are you YY our God, King of the Universe, who brings forth bread from
the earth.

This brings up the question of the use of quotations from the OT / Jewish
liturgy and how they should be understood.  AIWN is frequently used in the
LXX for (oLaM in the sense of "eternal."  Pehaps it could as well be so
understood in this blessing and I may be a victim of the Jewish prayer book
through which I was introduced to this.  On the other hand, perhaps it should
be understood as "King of the Universe."  It is certain, however, that AIWN
does not exclusively refer to "age."

Comments?

gfsomsel