iterative -SKO, -SKE

Manolis Nikolaou aei_didaskomenos at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 19:12:51 EDT 2002

Mark Wilson wrote:

> >Simply based on my understanding of iterative, I would be suprised
> >to find an interative aspect associated with the Imperfective tenses
> >more so than with the Perfective tenses. I would expect it to be
> >fairly equally distributed. I say this partly because you can find
> >the same verb with the same inflection in different contexts,
> >where one is not iterative and the other is. Would not the iterative
> >aspect be somewhat visually represented as this:

Carl Conrad answered:

> Could you provide some examples of verbs in perfective aspect that have an
> iterative sense, Mark? I'm really curious as to what you might be talking
> about. To be sure, there's the "gnomic aorist," but it isn't common enough
> to account for "equal distribution of iterative (or even
> interative--whatever that may be) forms between perfective and imperfective
> tenses."

In case "iteration" is to be understood as "repetition", I think an
iterative verb in perfective tense shouldn't be considered impossible:

2 Timothy 1:16  hOTI POLLAKIS ME ANEPSUXE KAI THN ALUSIN MOU OUK
EPAISCUNQH.

2 Cor 11:24-25  UPO IOUDAIWN PENTAKIS TESSARAKONTA PARA MIA ELABON, TRIS
ERRABISQHN, APAX ELISASQHN, TRIS ENAUAGHSA…

So, at least when combined with arithmetic adverbs, verbs in perfective
tense seem to be "capable" of expressing some "iterative" sense, no?

Regards,
Manolis Nikolaou
Greece